Car registration and taxes Cyprus

You are here

Temporary stays

If you keep your normal residence in your member state but you stay in another EU country for less than 6 months, you don't have to register your car or pay any registration taxes there - it will remain registered in your country of residence. You may however be asked to pay other taxes related to the use of your car in that country (circulation taxes).

If you're staying in another EU country for less than 6 months and haven't registered your car there, you may not legally lend or rent your car to a resident of that country, who may only drive your car if you are in the car with him/her.

You may, however, lend your car to visiting friends or family - provided they are not resident in your new country.

If you're planning to stay in another country for more than 6 months, you should normally change your residence to this country and you must register your car there without delay.

Moving abroad

If you move to another EU country (you intend to stay there over 6 months) and take your car with you, you will need to register it and pay any relevant fees and taxes in the new country.

You must register your car as soon as possible and in any case not later than 6 months from your date of arrival. You should also check what documents and formalities will be required as evidence to register your car.

In some countries you may be eligible for a tax exemption on your vehicle registration when you move from another EU country, if you meet the relevant conditions and deadlines. Before moving to your new country check the national rules applicable there.

Sample story

Save money by knowing the rules in advance!

Cristina from Spain found a job in Portugal and moved there. Unaware of the 6‑month deadline, she went to register her car after 8 months in Portugal.

She was then informed that, had she registered the car earlier, she wouldn't have had to pay any registration taxes. Also, in Portugal the 6‑month deadline is counted from the moment you leave your home country, not from the moment you arrive.

Est. 1951

You can rely on our experience.


Quick Links